Sunday, October 11, 2015

Marriage I

Rushing for the bus, Sujata looked at her titan watch on her right wrist. She always wore her watch on the right; she said as the right arm was stronger for a right hand person, it was natural. It was already 6 PM. Pallavi and Amit would have already come home, she thought to herself. She dropped them a text saying she was running late, and gave them a list of things that they should get from the market. Then she called her husband Mani, holding the steel pipe that ran across the top of the bus with one hand and the phone in another, she was barely able to manage her balance in the fully crowded DTC bus. Why did she even take DTC in the first place, she should have waited for the private one, she mumbled to herself. Mani’s phone was ringing and as always he picked up after what seemed like an eternity.

“Mani, could you go home early please. It will take me another half an hour. We have to prepare for their arrival.”

“I am almost leaving. What is it that you want me to do? Though it looks like we both would reach at the same time.”

In time of such emergencies, Mani’s spoon fed attitude never amused her.

“Kids would have gotten all the stuff we need. I didn't know I would get so late today. We have to prep for the dinner and snacks. But if you are reaching around the same time, then no point. If you reach early, give me a call.”, she took a deep breath.

“All right. Come home and we will do whatever is required. Don't worry. There is a lot of time.”

“Yeah. I hope they like Pallavi.”

“Yeah, don’t worry. They will. If you make those paneer stuffed samosas, they definitely will”, he giggled.

She smiled and hung up. The scorching summer heat made her sweat, and she wiped her forehead with her saree.

She had no clue why she was so tensed. Pallavi had seen and met many guys, and she didn't like anybody. Sujata was worried. She thought Pallavi had something going on with one of her fellow medical student but when probed upon, she refused clearly, “ I would have told you Mom”, she had said.

Sujata was really counting on that day as the guy was from a very well reputed family. They also lived in Delhi, and had a big house in Lajpat Nagar. They were also baniyas, just like Sujata and Mani. Ravi, the guy who was coming to see Pallavi had just finished MBBS and his elder brother was an Engineer and settled with his family in Mumbai. Both brothers were well educated. Ravi looked tall and handsome from his pictures and as per Sujata’s & Mani’s phone conversations with his parents, they all sounded like good people.

She reached home at 6:40 and Mani had reached home already.

“Have you guys started the preparations?”

“We were just making tea. you want some?”

“Yeah, give me a cup. It was a long day and my head is aching.”, she said while pressing her forehead with her fingers, “tell me, what all you guys have done till now Pallavi”.

“Mom, we got the things as per your list. But we didn't know what exactly you had in mind to do with all that stuff, so we have not started.”, Pallavi said while handing her a cup of tea.

“You have not started!”, her eyes went wide, “ remember I told you all last night what am I planning to do. Nobody around here listen to me.”

“Mom, we will do now. Its not late.” Amit jumped in to soothe his mother.

“Okay, let me have this cup of tea and then we will get started.”

Mani was silent in all this conversation. He knew if he spoke, it would as always go against him. He instead went to the kitchen and started filling water bottles to keep in the fridge.

Sujata went behind him, Amit and Pallavi also followed.

They planned to make paneer stuffed samosas, Shahi Paneer, Dal Makhani, Dum Aloo, jeera rice and chapatis.

Vineet Gupta and his family came at 8 PM. Pallavi was sent to her room to get ready half an hour before.

After glasses of water were passed around, they all went to the dinner table straight away. Generally, Sujata invited the guys family for snacks and tea, but given her current schedule, she was doubtful if she could make it for snacks. So she planned for dinner and a smaller tea ceremony. Calling it a ceremony would not be an exaggeration. If a guys family came to see Pallavi, Sujata would adorn the whole dining table with different kind of snacks, namkeens, sweets, dry fruits and all that she could think of. It was her way of making sure that everything went right.

Pallavi was wearing a pink saree and was trying to adjust it the whole time. It was very obvious that she was very uncomfortable in it. During the dinner, Pallavi and Ravi spoke to each other just 2-3 times. Ravi asked her how her studies were going and when was her final exams. Pallavi didn't ask much. After dinner, Pallavi and Ravi were sent to her room with their tea cups and some biscuits.

Ravi took a chair, and Pallavi sat on her bed side. She was the one who initiated the conversation.

“Look, I don’t know how it would sound, but I can’t get married to you.”

“Are you serious? Then why am I here” Ravi was shocked. A sadness took over his face. He liked Pallavi from the time he saw her photo. She was in a salwar kameez in the picture and her hair fell on the side. That  picture of hers came to his mind when Pallavi said this. When he saw her today, in person, he was sure he would like to marry her. He wanted to talk to her once though before deciding finally.

“Please try and understand me. My parents want me to get married and they have shown me innumerable number of guys. I have said no to all of them by pointing out one thing or the other. They are really excited about you and to be frank, I have nothing in particular to be able to reject you. They might get suspicious if I say no by giving some random excuse. I hope you understand me.”

Ravi looked at her face, and thought that with a strand of hair falling on her forehead, she looked even more beautiful.

“Why don't you want to get married?”

“I have a boyfriend, we both are doing our MBBS together. We want to get married but he is a Muslim. We want to complete our studies first before all this drama start.”

“So what do you want me to do?” He was getting impatient.

“Could you say that you didn't like me. It would really help out. ” She said with a straight face.

“But how can I say that when I do like you.” He said it.

“How can you like me, you just met me? She was exasperated.

“ I don’t know. Sometimes, you just know.”

“Please, please say no.” She thought her pleading might melt him.

“All right.”

Ravi and his parents left there after, promising that they would call and tell them. When they left, Sujata asked Pallavi if she liked the guy with a very hopeful face.

“Yes, mom. He is fine.” Pallavi lied, hoping that Ravi would call and reject her.

Everybody waited for a few days, but nobody called. Sujata called them a few days later, and Ravi’s mother picked up the phone.

“So, we all discussed and we even waited for Ravi’s grand mother to have a look at the girl’s photo, that’s why it took us many days to respond back. We like your daughter and we should think about talking further if you also like our boy.”

“Yes, yes. I asked Pallavi and she likes Ravi. I will tell Mani and then I will ask him to give you a phone call to discuss the things further.” Sujata was on the top of the world.

She called every body in the drawing room to give them the news.

“What’s it Mom? why are you shouting at this hour?” Pallavi said while lying down lazily on the sofa.

“Ravi’s mother was on phone. They said yes.”

Pallavi stood up.  She could not believe what she heard. She asked again, ”what did you say?  they said yes?”

“Yes, beta. They said yes.” She kissed Pallavi on the forehead. “Now I can be tension free. Mani I told them that I will talk to you and you will give them a call to discuss the things further. Why don't you do that early morning.”

“Yes, I am so happy and relieved.” Mani also got up and hugged her wife and daughter. Amit started teasing Pallavi. Pallavi left all of them and went inside her room. She said she had to prepare for a quiz.

She could not believe herself, she had asked Ravi to say no, she had very clearly told him, yet out of no where he said yes. She was mumbling and was very scared and anxious.

She called Amir and told him what happened. He told her not to worry and that they would figure out something.    

Pallavi realised it was going to be harder than she thought.

No comments: